Since the pandemic outbreak, not only the world has changed but also the nature of the work. Now more people are working from their homes, online. This new work culture has diversified the business to the next level. But, there also lies a big issue with spending long hours in front of the computer. Longer screen hours are leading to more eye strains. According to the researchers, although spending long screen hours may not damage your vision, it surely leads to greater eyestrains. But everything is not just black or white out there, so there is a resolution. Do you know what is the 20 20 20 rule? Read about it here because it will help you to cut down on your eye stress.
Below you will find a list of a few symptoms which is caused due to eye strain:
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Dry eyes
- Doubled vision
- Trouble concentrating and many other symptoms
The 20 20 20 Rule
If you spend long hours in front of the computer, you must follow this rule. After every twenty minutes of your screen time look at something else which is twenty feet away from you for twenty seconds. Doing so it shall cut down on your eye stress.
How To Know If You Are Looking At An Object Twenty Feet Away From You
If you are unsure about the exact distance, it will not be an issue. The objective here is to look away from the screen at something else that is a little distance away from you for twenty seconds. Looking outdoors or at trees shall give the eyes much-needed rest.
The Concept About Twenty Seconds
You might wonder why to look away from the screen for twenty seconds specifically. Within a span of twenty seconds, the eyes have the capacity of relaxing completely. It would also be great if you take a sip of water, then. It will keep the body and the eyes hydrated too. Drinking green tea is even a good option too as it has antioxidants in it called catechins. It keeps the eyes lubricated.
Other Helpful Ways
- Sit at least an arm’s distance away from the computer. It will put lesser stress on the eyes
- Follow the 20 20 20 rule. It is very effective. You can set an alert on your phone to keep you reminded about doing it
- Use a filter on your computer screen from preventing the glares from reaching your eyes directly.
- Blink often to keep your eyes lubricated
- On the advice of your doctor, buy an eyedrop and use it when the eyes are turning dry
- Keep the computer screen clean because a dusty screen puts more stress on the eyes
- Wash your eyes at frequent intervals and also adjust the brightness and the contrast level on the computer as per your comfort level